English Breakfast Day: Our 2023 Breakfast Hit List
In honour of English Breakfast Day 2023, our Development Chef and Innovation Consultant Ben Rowland reveals the breakfast spots on his 2023 hit list…
Us Brits love a good breakfast.
It is estimated that the average person spends over £570 a year on the ‘King of Meals’, with a total UK spend estimated in 2016 of over £13bn.
With the squeezing of disposable incomes, people are moving towards blending mealtimes such as ‘brunch’ and ‘early dinner’, often lighter (and cheaper) than a typical lunch or dinner. This has seen a growing trend in brunch innovation and pastries, with cafes and coffee shops expanding their offerings to cater for demand and to increase average spend and dwell times.
Whether it’s a greasy spoon ‘full fry-up’ and builder’s tea, a hipster workspace/bistro plate of ‘smashed avo on sourdough toast’ or an exotic ‘cilbir’ with an oat milk flat-white, the breadth of choice on offer can be overwhelming.
To mark English Breakfast Day (not that I needed an excuse), I’ve put together a list of top places to get your brekkie fix. Whether it’s your ‘early morning wake-up, ‘mid-day recovery’ or ‘been up all night refuel!’, here’s my 2023 hit list.
Regency Cafe, Westminster
- Alpinos, 97 Chapel Market, London, N1 9EY
- Regency Café, 19 Regency Street, Westminster, London, SW1P 4BY
- Terry’s Cafe, 158 Great Suffolk Street, London, SE1 1PE
Juliet’s Quality Foods, Wandsworth
- Buhler + Co, 8 Chingford Road, London, E17 4PJ
- Antipodea, 9 Station Approach, Kew, London, TW9 3QB
- The Black Cab Coffee Co, Riverlight 1, Nine Elms Lane, London, SW11 8AU
- Brunswick East, 3D Stamford Works Gillett Square, Dalston, London, N16 8JH
- Flotsam & Jetsam, 5A Clifton Villas, London, W9 2PH
- Juliet’s Quality Foods, 110 Mitcham Road, Wandsworth, SW17 9NG ·
Duck & Waffle, East London
- 45 Jerymn St., St. James’s, SW1Y 6DN
- Chiltern Firehouse, 1 Chiltern Street, London, W1U 7PA
- Duck & Waffle, 110 Bishopsgate, London, EC2N 4AY